Building the Better Home
The ECO-Block ICF system combines the tremendous strength of steel-reinforced concrete with the insulating properties of expanded polystyrene to produce one of the most revolutionary building systems in home construction today. And ECO-Block buildings are built to last – both the energy savings and structural strength continue throughout the life of the building.
There is no limit to what can be built with the ECO-Block system – standard single-story, two-story, multi-story, even curved walls. Plus, any conventional interior or exterior finish can be used with ECO-Block. Refer to our Home Plan Library (USA) for examples of what can be achieved.
ECO-Block buildings save you money by offering superior energy efficiency; up to 50 percent (or more) can be saved on heating and cooling bills over houses of similar size built with standard materials.
ECO-Block Concrete Form’s also reduce the pressure on precious natural resources because they replace lumber used in frame construction and greatly reduce the amount of fuel needed for heating and cooling. In addition, an environmentally clean process produces the form itself. No CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) are used in manufacturing the form. A large percentage of the high-plastic webs and connectors are made from recycled material.
Additional ECO-Block advantages
- Increased Strength: Steel-reinforced concrete for strength.
- Moisture-Resistant: The indoor climate of your ECO-Block home is protected by the air and water vapor barrier qualities of the ECO-Block ICF system.
- Airtight: An ECO-Block wall assembly stops air filtration into the structure. It provides greater control of interior air quality, eliminating drafts and cold spots.
- Fire-rated Assembly: Concrete structures are far more likely to remain standing through fire than are buildings made of other materials. Concrete doesn’t break down until it’s exposed to thousands of degrees Fahrenheit – far hotter than a typical house fire.
- Soundproof: Walls constructed with ECO-Block forms dramatically reduce noise pollution. The result is a super-quiet environment – a 150mm wall assembly has tested at STC 51, exceeding the requirements for apartment demising walls.
- Cost: The cost to build your ECO-Block home will be comparable to that of other energy-efficient structures, but with many additional benefits.
- Heating and Cooling: The minute you move into your ECO-Block home, you begin saving money. That’s because ECO-Block walls are airtight and have an R-3.78 minimum insulation value.
- Insurance Rates: Because most of an ECO-Block home is concrete, the insurance industry considers it masonry construction, ultimately resulting in lower insurance costs. This is recognized in the USA but not here in New Zealand yet.
- Resale Value: All the features integrated into an ECO-Block home will add value when it comes time to sell. Many appraisers consider energy efficiency when determining a home’s value.